Aluminium fluoride (AlF₃) is a white free-flowing powder, mainly used as an additive for the production of primary aluminium metal.
The addition of aluminum fluoride to the raw materials used in the aluminum smelting process reduces the temperature and improves the conductivity of the molten bath, reducing the electric power consumption.
Fluorsid produces high-density aluminium fluoride through the “dry process”, according to the following reactions:
1. dry acid grade fluorspar (CaF2) reacts with sulphuric acid (H2SO4) in externally heated rotary kilns, generating gaseous hydrogen fluoride (HF) and calcium sulphate (CaSO4);
2. the gaseous HF reacts with dry aluminium hydrate Al(OH)3 in fluidised bed reactors to produce high density aluminium fluoride.
Fluorsid has a total capacity of approx. 150,000 MT/y of aluminium fluoride, in two sites:
- Cagliari, with 110,000 MT/y;
- Odda, with 40,000 MT/y.
Aluminium fluoride is available in bulk (silo trucks or bulk vessels) or bagged in 1 MT big bags, 1.5 MT big bags, 15, 25 or 50 kg paper bags on pallets.
– SILO TRUCK OR BULK VESSEL
– BIG BAG – 1MT OR 1.5MT
– PAPER BAG – 15, 25 OR 50Kg